The Glen Ireh Historical Archives
Prior to European Settlement, the Tyerrernotepanner aboriginal people were the custodians of the land around Perth for thousands of years. The first European settlers arrived in the area in May 1806.
1813 Thomas Massey (pardoned convict, police constable) was given 300 acres Land Grant at Perth, then dispossessed in 1821.
In May 1821 Governor Macquarie visited the north of Tasmania and chose this area for a bridge and a town. He named the town after Perth in Scotland. A punt service, across the South Esk River, was established to transport people from Port Dalrymple on their way to Hobart Town.
David Ritchie who ran the Perth flour Mill at the River built the original home in the area. This was burned down by the bushranger Matthew Brady in 1826.
In 1867 Ritchie sold Scone to William Gibson who owned Native point farm just across the river. His son built the Eskleigh House mansion at the river's edge. He sold a portion of Scone to the Dumaresq family who owned Mount Ireh Estate on Pateena Rd. near Longford. They named it Glen Ireh.